The Same Questions I Ask Everyone....With Juara Skincare's Yoshiko Roth


Yoshiko loves her job. In August while very pregnant, she took a train from New York to D.C. so that she might present Juara's newest launches to the area's hottest beauty bloggers. Skincare seems to be more than the domain where she performs her adept entrepreneurship. Juara is, indeed (especially when that deed is getting on a train while pregnant) her calling.


As Juara's Co-founder she is the nose behind the brand's cult favorite Tiare Jasmine Rollerball Perfume Oil and personally tests and optimizes each new product released by the much buzzed about botanical brand. After her co-founder, Metta Murdaya, revealed the Indonesian geniousity behind their brand in our inaugural "The Same Questions..." we couldn't wait to reveal the equally brilliant Japanese half of this Indonesian skincare powerhouse.


What is your first memory of beauty products?
Believe it or not, my first memory of beauty products is that of toners. I would watch my mother and my Japanese relatives spending the biggest chunk of their daily skincare routine patting a toner-soaked cotton pad on their skin. I was completely mesmerized by that meticulous ritual.

At what age did you start wearing makeup?
At age 15. I bought my first red lipstick and even face powder!

If you could apply only one product for the next month what would it be?
It’s now getting colder and drier in New York City, so I would have to opt for a good, hydrating moisturizer with natural antioxidants. I like our Sweet Black Tea & Rice Facial Moisturizer because even though it’s very hydrating, it’s not heavy and absorbs very quickly. And it’s a great base for make-up.

If you could give one product to all women in the world what would it be?
Our Tamarind Tea Hydrating Toner. It’s my secret weapon for healthy, radiant skin, man or woman. When we developed this product, I had the Japanese-style toners in mind and my mother and aunts who so meticulously applied toner to their skin. To them, these hydrating toners are key to achieving skin that’s brimming with water and vitality… like a fresh peach!

If you could ban one harmful ingredient from all beauty products what would it be?

Phthalates. They are truly toxic.

What is your favorite skincare ingredient?
Hyaluronic Acid. It pretty much makes every single product work better and it makes your skin look better.

What is the last product you created?
Our Sweet Black Tea & Ginger Mattefying Moisturizer. It combines the natural anti-aging properties of Fermented Sweet Black Tea (a.k.a. Kombucha) with the oil-control and purifying benefits of Ginger and Cinnamon. Plus it contains hyaluronic acid for oil-free hydration. It’s great for anybody who is interested in age-prevention but has oily skin or break-out prone skin.

Who is the business woman you most admire?
Anita Roddick. A true revolutionary and visionary who changed the face of the cosmetics industry. I saw her speak once at NYU. She had an amazing presence.

Whose beauty do you most admire?
All women that age gracefully and embrace how life, experience, age changes them, physically and mentally.

What was your best Spa experience?
I LOVE going to Japanese onsen (hot spring resorts). Once my parents took me to an Onsen by Lake Suwa, about 2 hours from Tokyo. It was in the middle of winter, super cold and we would bathe in these amazingly relaxing naturally hot springs outside with view of the lake. It was divine.

Besides your own, what is your favorite brand?
Eau Thermale Avene. I used to be the product manager for Avene before I started JUARA. I always thought the products are excellent, especially the thermal spring water, but when I travelled to France to visit the Avene Hydrotherapy Center, I realized how much tradition, wisdom and integrity was behind the products, the brand, the whole company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: