Beauty's Product: Diptyque Patchouli Candle


I had to laugh when I read this, "DIPTYQUE brings exclusivity back to Patchouli" No really? Cause all those dreaded hippies made it so available and appealing? But seriously I do adore a fine votive just as much, well probably more, than the next girl and patchouli's roots go back much further than the whole make love not war scene.

World-renowned for its refined and unique scents, Diptyque created a Patchouli candle which it will launch exclusively in four Saks Fifth Avenue stores from November 1, 2008 – January 15, 2009. The candle will then be available at all Diptyque retailers as a new edition to the line in 2009.

An earthy fragrance, the Diptyque Patchouli candle features notes of cedar, moss, sandalwood, vanilla, white musk and of course, patchouli. Although the scent of Patchouli is often reminiscent of the American 1960s and 1970s, Patchouli was popularized in the 19th century as the fragrance used to scent fabrics manufactured in India and China for export to Europe. This association with luxurious eastern goods is why patchouli was considered by Europeans of that era to be a lavish and privileged scent. It is even rumored that Patchouli was used in the linen chests of Queen Victoria.

“We wanted to create a candle that was beautifully fragranced and evoked emotion,” says Andrew Sedlock, Diptyque’s Managing Director. “The inspiration stems from when the scent of Patchouli was associated with opulence and extravagance.”

Beginning November 1, 2008, the Diptyque Patchouli candle will retail for $60 and will be available at Saks Fifth Avenues located in the following cities: New York City; Boston, MA; Greenwich, CT; and South Coast Plaza, CA. After January 15, 2009, Patchouli will be available at Diptyque retailers nationwide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something was in the air on Christmas Eve. Not, not the freshly burned slice and bake cookies my wife was making, not the little "ornaments" my dog was busy making in the backyard, something hauntingly familiar....PATCHOULLI...I looked all around.

Under the couch, under the bed, under my wife...then I realized it was coming from my stocking. I pulled out a bar of Made from Earth's "Patchouli Herb" soap. Nice. Clean. Not overpowering. Amazing. For patchouli lovers everywhere!

The first time I used it my bathroom house filled with the smell of Patchouli. I did enjoy how it made my skin softer and glad it is not as strong now but it has a totally diffrent smell after using for a few weeks. Highly recommended from Made from Earth.